How To Calculate The Dining Table Size
To calculate the dining table size, we are mainly going to take into account two aspects: the space you have in the dining room and the number of people you would like to sit at that table. In all probability one of these aspects, or perhaps both, determine the limitations and the ideal size for your table.
How to calculate the dining table size that perfectly fits the available space? What is the best design for your table?
Often, when we think of a dining table, we imagine sitting comfortably around it, sharing a delicious meal with our family or friends, and we want everyone to feel so comfortable that all they have to think about is food and conversation.
If you want PAROTAS to advise you to calculate your dining table size, please contact us, we will gladly help you choose the best design and size for your table, either a parota wood table, or another type of wood.
Important aspects about how to calculate the dining table size
There is a wide range of options on how we can establish the place, shape or our dining table size, the most common are usually the dining tables that are located next to the family room or inside a dining room, but also we can find dining tables in passageways, or breakfast nooks in the kitchen, or multipurpose dining tables that are also used for work or play. Depending on the possibilities of the space, we will be able to determine if we have limitations for the maximum size of our table, or if we require a specific shape for the table, for example: square, oval, rectangular or round. Below we will offer some of the measurements and sizes that can help you determine the ideal size of a dining table that is most suitable for you.
Dining table size according to the available space
When you need a new dining table, you’re probably wondering: What type of dining table should I buy? The answer could be as simple as saying: “the one you like best”. However, the first thing you will have to check is the available space, not only taking into account the table, but also the passageways and other possible furniture that you are going to have in your room, such as consoles, credenzas or carving tables.
The space available in your room will determine not only the size of your dining table but also the number of people you can seat at that table. Obviously, if space is not an issue, your decision will be determined by the maximum number of people you want to sit down for a meal.
To calculate the ideal dining table size, you can start with a few simple calculations. For example, go to the space of your living room and draw, either on paper or on the floor, the shape of the dining table that you would like to have and calculate that the minimum space between the edge of the table and any wall or furniture that is around it must be 30 inches, so that you can, at the same time, put a chair and also allow you to pass behind that chair when there is a person sitting. That distance between the table and the wall is not ideal, but it is the minimum distance that you will need and that will give you an adequate ratio between the table and the space available for your dining room.
Consider that 30 inches would be the minimum space between the table and any obstacles that may be around it, but it is recommended to leave more space so that the passage of people is much more comfortable, especially if the obstacles or objects are mobile, such as a door. For example, if you have a door near your table, we advise you to try to leave a minimum of 48 or 49 inches, so that the entrance and exit through that door are not impeded by the table and chairs.
Finally, if space is not a problem, or the issue is that the space is too big for a table, then we must consider that the table is not too small and disproportionate for that space. In such a case, we are going to determine the maximum number of people that we want to sit around the table and we will take as a reference the distance from the table to the nearest wall or object, which we will try not to leave more than 180 or 200 cm. If the table is too big and you still have more space, we advise you to include some additional furniture, such as a divider, screen or some decorative objects.
Dining table size according to its shape and design
To know the dining table size based on the number of guests that will sit at that table, you first need to know how much space is required for each guest to be comfortable or very comfortable, for that there are standards for the minimum measurements and the recommendations that you can consider when making your calculations.
So what dining table size should I buy?
Below you can see size requirements based on square, rectangular, and round table sizes, and tips to help you choose the shape that works best based on the seating you want.
Dining table for 2 people
The dining table size for 2 people according to its design could be:
- Square Table for 2 people: normally designed to put a chair on each side of the table, a minimum size of 32 inches is recommended, although in some cafeterias you can find 30 or 32 inches on each side.
- Rectangular Table for 2 people: if you want to be comfortable and share some dishes, the table should not be less than 38 x 30 inches although a width of 32 inches would be more comfortable.
- Round Table for 2 People: Ideally, the table should be between 32 and 36 inches cm in diameter , especially if you are expecting more company.
Dining table for 4 people
The dining table size for 4 people according to its design could be:
- Square Table for 4 people: the most recommended minimum size would be 36 x 36 inches, although it is more advisable to have 40 or 44 inches. Ideally, the table could be up to 50 inches per side to make a very comfortable table.
- Rectangular Table for 4 people: in this table we would be seating two people on each side, and for this the minimum size of the table would be 48 x 36 inches, although we could extend the table a little if eventually you I would like to seat two more people at the head.
- Round Table for 4 people: we recommend a minimum of 36 inches in diameter, but it would be really comfortable if it were between 44 and 52 inches in diameter to comfortably seat 4 people, even one plus.
Dining table for 6 people
The dining table size for 6 people according to its design could be:
- Square Table for 6 people: there is no ideal size for this table, rather it would be a larger table for 4 or a slightly smaller table for 8. Check the size of the 4 and 8 person dining tables.
- Rectangular table for 6 people: in this type of table we are going to seat two people at the head of the table and two people on each side. At a minimum we will need a 60 x 36-inch table, although our guests will be much more spacious at a table of up to 92 x 40 inches.
- Round Table for 6 people: we recommend a minimum of 52 inches in diameter, although if you have enough space it would be advisable to have a round table of 64 inches in diameter..
Dining table for 8 people
The dining table size for 8 people according to its design could be:
- Square Table for 8 people: in this type of table we will seat 2 people on each side of the table, therefore it will be necessary that the side of the table allows us to have space so that the diners do not bother with their arms or hands. legs, for which we will need a table that measures at least 54 x 54 inches, although ideally the table should measure 60 or 64 inches on each side.
- Rectangular Table for 8 people: at this table we will seat two people at the head of the table and three people on each side. At a minimum we will need a table of 84 x 40 inches, although our guests will be much more spacious in a table of up to 96 x 40 inches.
- Round Table for 8 people: we recommend a minimum of 72 inches in diameter, although if you have enough space it would be advisable to have a round table of 84 inches in diameter.
Dining table for 10 people
The dining table size for 10 people according to its design could be:
- Square Table for 10 people: of two chairs must take into account the shared space, putting the minimum size of dining table at 31 inches (80 cm), while a table
- Rectangular table for 10 people: for two you would need at least 42 x 31 inches (110 x 70 cm). However, if you opt for a table
- Round Table for 10 People: 36 inches (3 feet; 90 cm), it can comfortably seat up to three people.
Dining table for 12 people
The dining table size for 12 people according to its design could be:
- Square Table for 12 people: of two chairs must take into account the shared space, putting the minimum size of dining table at 31 inches (80 cm), while a table
- Rectangular table for 12 people: for two you would need at least 42 x 31 inches (110 x 70 cm). However, if you opt for a table
- Round Table for 12 People: 36 inches (3 feet; 90 cm), it can comfortably seat up to three people.
If you have any additional questions or require our help in calculating the size and measurement of your dining table, please send an email to PAROTAS and we will gladly help you find the ideal design and size for your dining table.
© 2022 PAROTA FURNITURE S.A. DE C.V.